Thursday, August 23, 2012

Home on the Roam Repairs


Since I’ve gotten her, in March, I’ve been a lot of repairs into Big Bessy. She first got a brand new battery for the interior lights, followed by some repairs on the fuel pump, the high beam lights, and the electrical gas lighter so I could charge my phone. She also got some new breaks and a new mini fridge. I then got a bike rack for the back bumper so I wouldn’t have to bring my bike inside every night. Then came some beautification, of hanging tapestries, a clothing rod for my top bunk, which is now my closet. Am also still working on fixing my real closet, as it turns out there’s a weight limit and the rod that the hangers went on, and it sort of fell off. So if anyone knows how to install a hang of sorts to plywood and it will actually hold some stuff, please, be my guest, I’m all ears.
But is she drivable? Sometimes…most of the time. She passed her test drive when I started it and drove it around the block, so I assumed so at the time. However the seller failed to mention that it stalls out 3-5 times every morning on average. That it definitely stalls out if you’re stopped at a red light going up a hill.  The carburetor makes all sort of popping noises. The seller also didn’t smog it and now poor Bessy can’t pass a test on her own. He told me it was being sold as is and had me sign a contract stating that I understood that. This is a “hobbie” vehicle, he said, not for someone that doesn’t understand cars. Yes, more like full-time job in my case. So, 3 months later, I went to legit smog place and they told me that legally, I was allowed to sell it back to him. Or try to work out a deal where we could spilt the cost of the repairs enough for it to pass a smog test. I called him and told him all of this. And he’s from NY, and doesn’t really know the rules of CA smog. Plus, he told me, and I quote “I’m actually a little bit retarded, and so if you try to sue me, I’ll have my doctors and lawyers and stuff win, on account of that I didn’t know the law here in CA.” Yes, that’s right ladies and gentlemen, he played the retard card. I was speechless. I mean what can you even say to that? Sorry you’re retarded; sell me this piece of shit back? Or help me fix it. It was like talking to, well, to a retard. I had to have the smog guy talk to him and even he felt bad for me and gave me discount on my smog. My silly retard already used the $2000 to buy a minivan and he can’t afford to give me money. He also informed me that he was getting food from the food bank, government cheese and everything. Mother fucker, don’t talk to me about government food. I came to America as an immigrant, we got government cheese, and corn flakes and peanut butter too, I didn’t have clothes from anything but salivation army till I was in high school.
 But to pass a smog test it boils down to is most likely is my carburetor. Who even has a carburetor anymore? Do they even make those? I was looking around for a mechanic to say it passed when really it didn’t, just so I could finally register this beast. But to no avail. I kept getting the runaround. All I got was missed appointments and no answers when I called, so I gave up. So I’ve been driving around not so legally, but slowly and inconspicuously. Nobody can see that giant silver RV, it totally blends in…I did get a little nervous when I drove up to festival land, but that didn’t stop me from having the best time EVER!
Some of the other little minute details I’ve had fixed, was the gas gage; turned out to just be blown fuse. The gas tank was lifted and screwed into place. The water tank exploded one day when I was filling it and can no longer hold water. So things like showering, brushing teeth and washing hands become more challenging. Thank God for friends, yoga studios and jobs with showers. Otherwise I’d be a filthy bitch. So I had to get that repaired, and as soon as I did that the tank sprung a leak on the inside. I came back one day and the floor was all wet. Awesome. Pretty soon the floor is going to rot and mold and its going to smell like shit and I’m going to not be able breath and die. So ya, I fixed that. And what do you know…the sewer tank sprung a leak. And apparently you can get a ticket for that. They tend to frown upon leaking poop on the streets. Maybe if I lived in India, it’d be ok. But I live in America’s Finest City! And we can’t be having any of that.

            I’ve also upgraded my sleeping arrangement quite a bit, that my bed is now the most comfiest thing I have ever slept on! After about 4 months of living on the streets, I noticed that all curbs are not created equal. Some have a very big curve down angle. So much so, that I’d sort of roll off my bed and after a while and the fold out table/bed, old, dingy cushions become super flattened out. So my back was starting to hurt…a lot. Not to mention everything was constantly sliding off on a lean. So when I was helping my friend Sarah move into her new loft, and the old tenant was moving out he left his giant temper-pedic memory foam mattress pad and ever since that I’ve been sleeping on a cloud! Back problems are gone and its even curved under so its like sleeping in a crib. Live is much more comfortable, I must say. But there is always work to be done, as in Bessy, if its not one thing, its.

1 comment: