Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Down time, Observations and Ohio


Picking the alternative lifestyle of living in an RV may sound crazy, but to me, it just sort of fit. I came back to America with no possessions except some clothes, a cat, and a dream to keep travelling. Life on the road has always seemed home to me. There’s a certain adventure or even a slight fear about driving around not really knowing where you’re going to stay that night. So far, my plan has been to sleep where it’s convenient for the next morning. Or if a friend has a free parking spot in their yard, so I can hook everything up. But if I don’t have to wake up early, I’ll try to go somewhere the kitty can run around and play for a little bit. She needs the outdoors, but I also don’t want to open the door into a busy neighborhood. People tell me I’m brave and ask me what kind of protection I have…and to be honest, I’ve never felt in danger, and I have a hammer, locks on my doors, a fire extinguisher, as well as a vicious guard cat. I’m not brave; I’m just low maintenance, carefree and slightly bored. RV living is perfect for me right now, and manifesting itself into something great. Sure there are hurdles here and there, but I am blessed with friendly faces and family at every turn. I am loved and cared for. What more could a girl ask for? I have an adorable kitten companion; I have work coming in and I've made progress on fixing up the little toaster. People are so willing to help and rescue poor little RV girl. Strangers offer me showers, to plug in my electricity, even bikes. It’s so incredible the love I feel from people. And granted they might just feel sorry for me. It’s OK, Ill take it. I’m surviving. Trying to save a penny here and there, and live the dream for as long as I can.
Of course none of this would be possible if I didn’t have a loving support system or family and friends, friends that have become family and new friends that I make along the way everywhere I turn. So before I start working and shutting myself off from the world, its time to go check in with the fam.
My parents and grandparents all still live in good ol’Toledo, OH. Where I was brought to at the age of 5 from Russia and decided at the age of 8 that I was leaving. It's become a sad and pitiful little town, worse each time I go back. Businesses closing left and right, crime rate increases, the rate of people moving out of there is higher than babies being born. Plus its super hot in the summer and super cold in the winter. Sounds magical doesn’t it? 90% of my friends have moved either out of state or city, and the only people I have left to visit remain my family. I check in once a year. This time, after living in Costa Rica, and then going straight back to San Diego, it was time for me to 'pass go, and collect my $200'….$2000 in my case, because I’m a spoiled little brat that needs help getting back on her feet…again. Thanks mama and papa! 
My visit was much needed and perfectly timed. It gave me some much needed grounding stability, a couple tears of joy, some tears of sadness, and enough money to get back and buy myself a commuter car. I needed a fresh start…and a hug from my mommy. So I dropped off Gatita at another sitter, packed my bags and got on the next flight to Detroit (Toledo's big ghetto brother 45 min to the north) and went home for a visit with my tail between my legs.

No comments:

Post a Comment