Thursday, September 6, 2012

Back to the Job Hunt


The end of LIB marked the end of fun and the beginning of getting back into the grind. The Greenpeace gig sucked, and I quit after a week. Moved my RV the hell out of Wind n Sea. and after a good house cleaning, vacuuming and hiding out from the party world, it was time to start looking for a real job. Time to make back some of those pennies I spent. So I started doing what every does…updated my resume and started calling an any and all of my connections near and far, old bosses, old frienaemies, co-workers, people I haven’t talked to for years.
I quit my cubicle desk job, sold my car and moved to Costa Rica a year ago, and was dreading going back to life at the office. So I decided to go to my fall back plan and be a waitress. I haven’t waitressed, or what they now refer to as “serving” to be politically correct since I was 22…but my fresh new resume says otherwise. My lovely friend Sarah, says “Just lie, everyone does it, put me down as a reference she say I was your manager, they’ll never know.” “Fake it till you make it” She said. Ya, well if they didn’t know when they hired me, they sure did figure out it.                                                                                                      
 After a ton of interviews, call backs, and no thank yous, I finally got hired on at Sammy’s; super corporate, not for easy-going, Sammy’s Woodfire Grill. They make you learn the whole menu, take tests on all of the ingredients, memorize everything, bus, serve and seat people, and close and open the place, AND have time to polish silverware. Who do these people think we are? Machines?! Slaves?! Needless to say, I didn’t last very long. And they first suspended me for being late (cause I couldn't find parking Downtown on ComicCon) then the day I was supposed to come back, I was “let go” for not being a good fit.
Good riddance, Charlie. I hated that place. So I reached out to other areas I thought I might be good at. Teaching English as a second language, tutoring, substitute teacher, yoga instructor, Zumba, Pilates, kids swim couch, making sandwiches, even baby-sitting. I applied to grocery stores, the YMCA, dog-walking, pet-sitting, house-sitting, flight attendant, working on a cruise ship, anything and everything Craigslist had to offer. I still get called out promo gigs here and there…but now I drive myself to them myself.
For a month I job hunted…go to interviews and staffing agencies in my RV. Here I am, Kelly Services…prepared for duty! Oh am I not dressed professionally? Give me just a second, I brought my whole closet…and my cat, wanna meet her? I move around every few days, relay on friends to shower and eat very minimally. Its cool, those Costa Rica beans and rice sure didn't miss me...so I could stand to loss a few lbs. Sadly I have to revert to the tried and true desk/job/office admin role that I loath so much. But, shit, that’s my entire resume has anymore and clearly, I wasn't fit for a server thing anymore. Plus who can keep that schedule?! I want my evenings and weekends free, thank you very much. I’m spoiled and I have needs, damnit. Plus I'm getting old and I get sleepy by 11, I can't be closing a restaurant at midnight anymore. 
I finally land a silly little desk job at an insurance company. Part-time admin, so theoretically I could still work evenings and weekends to make ends meet. The job, however is out in Torrey Pines area, no where near a bus stop and sure as hell out of the car2go zone. This could only mean one thing…I need a car. 

No comments:

Post a Comment